Monday, August 6, 2007

Camping trip recap



Last weekend Ian & I went with our friend Greg to a music festival in upstate NY (near Albany). It's a festival (Camp Creek!) that I've been to several times before, but never thought I would bring a kid to. I only say that because I was never in the mindset of bringing a kid there. But last time I went (about 2 years ago) I noticed they had a 'quiet' camping area for families and had activities for kids in the open field near the main stage.

I decided to take Ian this year because he digs live music and there would be plenty of kids to keep him occupied.


So last Friday we loaded our gear, hooked up the camper to my car, and set off for 3 days of fun! I went into it knowing I wouldn't actually 'see' much music and it was more about the experience of going there with Ian. And that's exactly how it turned out. We pulled onto the property where the festival was being held and Ian took immediately to the 'security' staff (bikers) and they even gave him a baseball glove while they searched our car and camper. (Normal procedure, they don't allow glass of any kind).


We find a spot in a field along the treeline to set up the camper and immediately Ian began playing with Nicole, a 5 year old next to us. After that point, it was hard keeping Ian by our camper because all he wanted to do was find Nicole or any other kid around.


All weekend all we did was play with toys, kids or walk around watching a band for a few minutes or taking a walk in the vending area. Below are some pictures from the weekend:


This is AniCorne Skywalker on friday evening. The sky opened up with a huge thunderstorm about 15 minutes after the camper was completely set up, so of course we had to break out Ian's new poncho (and no, we didn't go out in the thunderstorm, this was after the thunder and lightning passed:





This is Ian in his new Jerry shirt. I swear he's the one that picked it out, he loved the hand print on it!




This is Ian playing with his new lightsaber with his friends on Saturday evening. I wasn't keen on getting him any type of sword, but they were inexpensive enough and the kids were actually really careful about not hitting each other with them (for the most part!)





This is Ian Sunday morning exiting the camper in his new Tye Dye. He actually wanted to buy a hemp dress, but I convinced him that this might fit him better!

Prince Ian at the kids tent


Ian & his honeycakes gal pal, Nicole after not seeing each other for like, 45 minutes:




1 comment:

Dupree said...

He's a much better camper than his mother.