Thursday, March 18, 2010

Paddy O' Clause

Yesterday morning (on St. Patrick's Day) Ian woke up at the butt-crack of dawn and immediately began searching for gold that a leprechaun supposedly left for him.

WTF?

Allison and I both kind of laughed it off, not sure what he was talking about. After school he was the first one off the bus and immediately wanted to run home. Usually Mr. Social likes to hang around and play at the stop, but NOOOOO, not this day. He grabbed my hand and wanted to make a beeline for the house. His reason? "I just KNOW that a leprechaun left me something at home. I just haven't found it yet! All I found this morning was our normal old stuff, nothing new. You need to help me look harder!"

Double WTF??

Ian insisted that everybody else in his school got something from a leprechaun that visited their house overnight. Some kids got toys, some kids got candy, and some got money. He just KNEW that the leprechaun wouldn't forget him. I asked the older sister of another boy who is in Ian's class, and sure enough, he got stuff. She said it was a family tradition, for them to wake up to find stuff.

I have NEVER heard of this before. And lets just say that Ian didn't take to it kindly when I told him I was pretty sure there was nothing new for him to find at our house. Ian ran ahead during the walk home from the bus stop so I gave Allison a quick call to tell her about the recent "tragedy" of an oompa-loompa looking mo' fo' forgetting to indulge our kids with needless gifts.

We both agreed that we weren't going to feed into this. With Christmas, Easter, and the tooth fairy....where do you draw the line? What, is a groundhog going to leave presents in February? Will gift cards to your favorite toy store magically appear in trees on Arbor Day? Don't even get me started as to what could happen on Flag Day!

I guess that makes us the meanest parents in the world. Or as Ian says, the worstest parents. Oh well.

I promised that I'd write here more often, so there ya go!

Coming soon will be my shameless begging asking for support for a good cause...my facebook friends know what I'm talking about!!

Until then, beware creepy green midgets offering presents. They've gotta be up to no good!

2 comments:

Mr. Man said...

AWESOME!! That's hilarious!

Tyler & Brianna said...

okay- this makes you good parents! It is hard not to give into our kids wants or in their senses "needs"- you want them to be happy and accepted by others but you are doing the right thing (not that you need my validation)- because I am probably the loser that would have run off to Walgreens to find a cheap as* gift to hide so good for you!! Your kids will be better later for it!!

Bri