Thursday, October 1, 2009

Knuckle Patch

What you just thought was my sentiments exactly: WTF is 'knuckle patch'???

Ian and I were playing "Rock, Paper, Scissors" this morning and a few minutes into the game he pulled this move: He throws his hand out, turned his palm up, spread his finger apart (bent at the knuckles) and called "knuckle patch".

(dramatic pause, because I know all of you are actually doing the hand gesture to see what I'm describing...go ahead, don't be ashamed. No one is watching).

Ok, now that you have a visual, I exclaimed "What is a knuckle patch????" Ian proceeds to tell me that it is like rock, paper or scissors, but it can beat anything.

Wait, what?

I started to question Ian about this new, fandangled "knuckle patch":

Me: When can you throw a knuckle patch?
Ian: anytime.

Me: You can throw a knuckle patch anytime in the game?
Ian: Yeah, except for the first hand. You can't do it the first time, but anytime after that you can.

Me: And knuckle patch will always beat everything else?
Ian: Yeah.

Me: And nothing can ever beat knuckle patch?
Ian: No dad! (getting all pissy)

Me(all annoyed): So what is the point????

Yes, I actually asked Ian in an annoyed tone of voice what the purpose of a 'knuckle patch' was. *sigh*. I made sure he knew I wasn't annoyed at him, but then we started discussing the stupidity of knuckle patch. C'mon, seriously: Why not just throw knuckle patch every single time? Well, I bet if you had arthritis it would hard to do repeatedly, but I'm assuming that kids playing rock, paper, scissors, knuckle patch don't have joint problems.

Since I had no where to go, I decided to dig a little deeper into this. As it turns out, Ian plays this game on the bus coming home from school and that his friend 'Lucas' taught him this faulty version. I don't know 'Lucas', but someone needs to have a sit down with him and get to the bottom of these shenanigans.

I consider myself to be pretty liberal and I think change can be a great thing, but there are some things that you just don't mess with.

-------------------------------

Okay, now that THAT is out of the way let's talk about the big elephant in the room: Where the hell have you guys been? I've been looking all over for you and couldn't...seem to....find...you..No? Bah, I tried. I know, I know, it's been SOO long since I've blogged. Let's see, what has happened since June?

Oh, I know!:

*We moved!!
*I took an awesome hiking/camping trip with some great friends to the White Mountains in NH (my new favorite place to go!)
*Ian learned how to swim
*Ian started kindergaren
*Ian is learning how to read
*Leah became potty trained (for the most part)
*Leah started preschool
*Leah started a 'creative dance' class
*I accepted a new role at our church (Sunday School Superintendent)
*I am back in school (working on completing prerequisite classes so I can apply to Nursing School)
*and I'm sure there is a bunch of other crap.

So needless to say it has been a crazy and hectic summer/beginning of the school year. I honestly believe that, as an adult, I've never been as busy as I am now.

But you know what? I'll go one step further: I honestly believe that, as an adult, I've never been happier than I am now. Life is just awesome right now: We're in a great home, the kids are...well, they have their moments, but they are at a fun age right now, I'm doing things that I enjoy and am working towards something, Allison didn't high tail it out of here after our 9 year anniversary, you know, lots of good things!

I've been holding off on updating this thing because I was waiting for something funnier than the day at the movie theater. You know what, I could be waiting a long time! Although I particularly enjoy a website that has recently surfaced in the news. It really makes me want to scrap my plans to apply to Nursing School and just be an employee at Wal-Mart. If you haven't done so yet, check out peopleofwalmart.com. Imagine the fodder I'd have people watching there!!!

I'll try to update this more often, I promise.

2 comments:

Mr. Man said...

Ha ha...I love peopleofwalmart. Was just showing this to some friends a week or so ago. Always good for laughs. Anyway, thanks for the update. Made me smile!

Amy said...

I think the government invented Knuckle Patch and it trumps anything the poor "Joe Public" guy could ever try to come up with. It must have trickled down to the backwoods bus routes of Tolland, CT and here we are! What a riot, loved the entry1