Wednesday, January 28, 2009

4,927 Days

That is the answer to Ian's bizarre question today. Silly me at first replied with a general answer...you would think I knew my son better and where this was going to end up. This is how our conversation went while I was getting lunch ready:

Ian: How many days is it until I'm a grown-up?

Me: You're officially a grown-up when you turn 18 years old, bud.

Ian: How many days is that.

Lazy me: A lot. You see, you're 4 and a half now, right? Well after you turn 4 you turn...how old?

Ian: 5.

Me: Right and after you turn 5 you turn.......

Ian: 6.

Teacher Me: Right. And then you keep going through the numbers..after 6 is? (...we went through to 18).

Ian: Okay...so how many days is that? A hundred?

Me: More than that, bud...way more.

Ian: A million?

Me: Iiiiii don't think it's that many. No, definitely not a million.

Ian: 85?

Perplexed Me: Uh, no. 85 is less than a hundred, so it's more than 85. (Jackass me trying to apply logic with him to an earlier guess of his)

Ian: One thousand-hundred-fourteen-two-eight? (exactly how he said it)

Frustrated Me: You know what, Ian? I'm going to tell you exactly how many days it is until you're officially a grown-up.

Rain Man Me 20 seconds later: 4,927 days, Ian. Yeeeah. 4,927 days until you turn 18 and are officially a grown-up.

Ian: Oh. That's a lot of days.

Spent me: Yes it is. Here's your lunch.

~I didn't want to pull some 'random' number out of my ass (although one thousand-hundred-fourteen-two-eight probably would have done it), so I used the calculator function on my cell phone: 13.5 years x 365 days = approximately how many days until he turns 18.

And in case you couldn't get a feel for him by this little conversation we had: He has an absolute need for concrete numbers and guesses are the work of the devil. Everything is black and white and yes or no. God forbid if you throw in a 'maybe', 'sometimes' or 'kind of like that'.

So if any of you DARE bring up leap years and the fact that he's currently not exactly 4.5 years old, thus throwing the true number of days off...and leaving me to deal with the aftermath of his questions and demands for another more accurate number, I will hunt your ass down.

That reminds me. Ian comes up with questions like this all the time. I should just post them here so you can understand some of these odd things I get asked and conversations I get roped into.

2 comments:

PG said...

hunt me down if you must.. but...

http://timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

i love that site.

Tyler & Brianna said...

He's a smart cookie!!